Friday, March 13, 2009

The Straight Story

Hi Everybody,


It has been a while since I've written, so I'm planning to do a couple of entries over the next few days. I'd like to start with a thank you, followed by an update.


First of all I'd like to thank Sarah and Rebecca for there wonderful entries. Everyone has been waiting to hear from Sarah, and they could not have received a more heartfelt and honest address. It all has so much more gravity when the words come from Sarah herself.


My second tip of the hat goes out to Becca. It was a joy having her here with us, and our only regret is that the time went by so fast. Her eloquence on the blog is only matched by the depth of her compassion. Thanks a million Rebecca!


My third thank you goes out to Sarah's Mom Lori, who has given us the closest thing to normalcy that we could possibly achieve in a situation as abnormal as this one. She has worked tirelessly to keep our son Marek as happy and healthy as possible, and for that we will be forever in her debt.


Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank all of you who have donated money thus far. It has been our saving grace in a time of true uncertainty. Words cannot display the gratitude we feel towards all of you.


That said, let's get on with the update.


Life has been hard. Not in the ways we we're used to, but in a whole new capacity. The off weeks that we were so thankful for have become less and less of a relief since the Neulasta shots began. These are the insanely expensive shots that Sarah must receive every other week to keep her white blood cell count high enough to receive each subsequent chemo treatment. They are a gift, and a curse. Each shot allows her to move forward in her treatment, but this comes at a price.


The shots cause muscle and joint pain, which lead to more pills to manage the pain. The cycle seems never ending, and the off week has all but disappeared. The low white blood cell count has also brought on a temporary quarantine. Sarah's immune system is compromised, so she can no longer be in public places. The risk of her catching something is too great.


I apologize for painting a dismal picture, but that has been reality for the last couple of weeks. A series of hills and valleys, highs and lows. The deeper we drop, the harder it is to climb. The positive side of this, is the darker it gets at the bottom, the better the view gets from the top. I've spoken of the relative nature of our situation before, and it is reaffirmed with every step we take.


Fortunately I get to end this entry on a positive note. This weeks trip to the Oncologist revealed that Sarah's white blood cell count is up. She can go back out into the world, and if everything goes well, she may not need the shot next time around. The view from the top has changed again.


That's all for now.


Thanks for all the love and support,


Dan

1 comment:

vrb said...

Hi from La Crosse!
We are trying to get ready for our family vacation to Vail, but I wanted to touch base with you guys out there before we leave. I know too well the valley of despair that you are inhabiting right now, but please try to remember that EACH DAY that you get through is another step towards your return to normalcy. Take it one day at a time, and even though you have always heard that you should treasure every day that God gives you, don't feel guilty about putting some of these days in your "That is one more day that I will not have to endure again" pile! Somedays, I can remember that the relief that another day had a "DONE!" checkmark after it, was the only thing that I could think of to be grateful for! Hang in there. Sarah, just because you CAN go back out into the world, don't feel like you MUST. Feel free to say "No" to visitors...I had a sign on our door that said, "Go Away!" while Hayley was in treatment. It was supposed to be funny, but sometimes it was just what I needed. I wish that I still had it so that I could give it to you, but I gave it away to my dear friend who fought colon cancer. I wish that I knew how to cross stitch so that I could make one for you!

I know that the money is a concern. I assume that you have insurance, but if you don't, please ask the social worker at the Clinic for information about foundation money or financial advice. I don't want you to have to worry about THAT, too. You will be amazed at the sources of financial help. I wish that I knew of a Make-A-Wish for adults, for that little "carrot" helped Hayley through some tough days. Again, I would think that your clinic or hospital might be able to put you into contact with some folks who can help.

I loved the thought that Becca and Lori were out there at the same time. I bet that Marek was INSANELY spoiled! That is good...spoil him! If nothing else, he is a good distraction! What an absolute doll...I bet that Lori is NUTS about him. I just thought of another blessing: he will probably never remember this detour on the road. He might remember his Grandma and Aunt being out there, but he will probably never remember any of the illness or hard times. So tonight when you list God's blessings, be sure to add that.

I don't know what my computer connection will be in Vail...of course, I can no longer ski, but I am just going along to enjoy the time with the kids. But know that I am thinking of you, and that my prayers will be sent from a location a little closer to heaven, so if God hasn't heard me yet, He is BOUND to, now!

I will check in whenever I can. Give that friend of mine a big hug...the caregivers need as much love as they can get! It seems that your family is GOOD at that, though! Much love to all of you!

Vicki