Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Round Two

Hi Everybody,

It's been a while since I've written, and honestly it has been a nice vacation.  As we say in the cancer world, no news is good news.  We had a great week of family, excercise, and near normalcy.  Today the vacation ended, and the news is beginning to flow again.

Let me start with Sarah's blood work from yesterday.  She has to get her blood drawn weekly to monitor her white blood cell count.  Yesterday the results came back extremely low.  This is a common side effect if the chemo, but it requires that another shot be added to the arsenal to keep her count up.  The most shocking news we received was that each of these shots carries a $9000 price tag!

She received this shot yesterday, so today was a bit suspenseful as we waited to see if Sarah's white blood cell count would be high enough for her to receive her second chemo treatment. Luckily the count was up, and Sarah's treatment plan is still on track.  This new drug will help her continue, but this comes at a cost.  It is known to cause muscle and joint pain, and Sarah is already starting to suffer from it.

Tonight Sarah is feeling the fog settle in once again.  I wish I could tell you all what is coming next, but we just don't know.  There is no way to predict how her body will react, so all I can really do for those of you reading this is to continue to report.  So far she is tired and sore.  

The reality of the situation is upon us once again, but our spirits remain high.  Earlier tonight I overheard Sarah exclaim to someone on the phone, "this is the ultimate experience in mindfulness.  You cannot exist anywhere but the present moment, or it will drive you crazy".  I couldn't agree more, and I hope that we can all follow her lead on this.  Live in the moment, and make the most of it.

That's all for now.

Thank you for all the love and support,

Dan

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, Sarah and Marek,

Hello from the Sun Prairie gang!! We love you and are sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Sarah, you are one strong lady and Dan, you are doing a great job keeping everyone informed. I never knew that you were such a great writer.

Hannah says "Hi" to her little cousin and she misses him.

Take care and we love you guys!!

Tiffany, Pete, Hannah, Mary, Dennis and Grandma

Anonymous said...

I continue to think of you all daily, and am grateful for the updates via this blog. May you continue to stay strong and positive, and as you have said - live in the moment.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am learning so much from you and will look at the process of mindfulness in a new light. I can only imagine the shock at the price tag to keep those white blood cells up and working. It is so good to know your mom is there with you helping to keep Marek's life on somewhat of an even keel so that you can let go of some of the responsibility of being a mom. Take care.
Love Sue

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you guys! Keep your head up!

Blair

Anonymous said...

Sarah - I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. You and your family have been in my thoughts and my every prayer since I heard the terrible news. I know how determined you are and have faith that you will survive this and live a long, terrific life! I'm so happy to hear that your Mom is there with you to help out with everything so you can take good care of yourself.

Dan - Great job on the updates! You are an incredible writer and your love for Sarah really shows through your words! Keep your strenght up - you have a lot of people to keep happy.

hoff said...

Sarah, it has been 11 years now since being friends at Aquinas High. I ran into your mom in La Crosse and she kindly let me know about this blog. I remember your tenacity back then and am sure it will pull you through. You are in my family's prayers for a speedy recovery.

Howie said...

I'm sorry but this makes me so mad.

The thought that companies and people are getting wealthier due to the illness and discomfort of others literally makes me feel sick to my stomach.

As if it's not lame enough what you have to go through. The more I pay, and think about what I pay, and see these insurance claims come and go...the more I think about how much money is privately (and otherwise) donated and collected and spent on research...it's a ridiculous sum and I'm more and more outraged. The news of a bi-weekly $9000 shot infuriates me.

Sorry, it is what it is, and if I were in the same position as you I'd be doing the same thing - you can only do what you can only do, but...geez, might there be a problem with the financial end of healthcare in our nation?

End rant with peace love and more positive thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
We are sending lots of love and hugs to all. Our hope is that Sarah's reactions are similar to her last treatment.

It is so nice to hear from old and new friends.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you daily.

A big hello to Marek.

Love,
Grandpa Tom and Grandma Alice

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Dan and Marek,
So glad you have this available to post comments, thank you Molly and Dan. Sarah, please know you are in my prayers, we took you and your family with us into the lodge, last Sunday and said lots of prayers for your healing. Your heart and strength are inspiring!
Please know that there is lots of love and light around you, if you need anything, just know I am a phone call away. I will be in Santa Cruz on the 12th and 13th. Look forward to checking in at that time. I'll call.
Lots of Love,
Robin