Saturday, February 28, 2009

A note from Sarah

Hey Everyone!

I realize this is my first time writing on the blog...it seems long overdue!  The phone has been the easiest way for me to communicate thus far.  I start writing and the words just don't flow, whether it's on the blog or in one of my many beautiful journals.  And, now I have a tough act to follow.  My love, Dan, has been doing an amazing job with this so, I've left it to him...until today.

It's been one month to the date since we were sitting in Dr. Gurney's office hearing the words Lymphoma for the first time.  She was so kind, gentle, and compassionate that it makes me think of being in a similar place, with a similar gentle doctor, giving me a similar kind of life changing news...on March 1st, 18years ago tomorrow, my dad passed away while we were away on a special father-daughter ski trip.  However, this time, I wasn't a twelve year old child, sitting alone, six hours away from home, rather, I was looking into my  loving husband's eyes.I felt safe.  For that, I'm so thankful!!

As you've read, I've had a whirlwind of doctor's appointments and needles stuck in me.  The physical pain is uncomfortable but doesn't compare to a lot of the emotions I've experienced, mainly around my son.  I am a 30 year old mother with the most precious two and half year old that you've ever met...he's the light of my life.  He brings joy to everyone he meets and it's with a heavy heart that I have to witness him trying to wrap his head around what is happening with his mommy.  Naturally, there's been a different energy in our house....I had surgery on my neck, I lie on the couch and sleep a lot more, I can't pick him up as my vein is healing from my chemo infusion, I don't go to school as much with him, I seem to be going to some appointment everyday, we don't have the same weekly playdates, and most of all, because of my "yucky medicine" we had to wean.  I start to cry at the thought of our weaning.  Breastfeeding was something that was extremely important to both of us, allowing each of us to experience the ultimate act of love between a mother and her child.  I will never forget this sacred time we had together and find myself resenting the fact that it didn't end on our terms!  

I also find myself resenting that Marek has to feel any pain surrounding my cancer.  I think we all have things we went through as children that as parents that we don't want our children to have to go through...I never wanted Marek to have any pain surrounding a parent, as I did when my dad died.   I realize this is unrealistic but.........  Thanks to Gramma Lori, our wonderful friends, Erin and Cyrus, who take Marek in as their own,  all the wonderful moms, children, and teachers at his nursery school, his best friend, Zoey, and their family, and a wonderfully, generous soul who is donating her cranial sacral services I'm hoping that Marek's load will be lightened.  

As many worries and unknowns as there are, I feel as though I have to stay in the present moment.  I definitely don't want to go backward, and going forward is too daunting.  The thought that I may never have another baby, the mounting medical bills, the possibility of loosing my hair, the thought of new side effects from subsequent treatments, the fear of a different cancer popping up later, the reality that even when I'm finished with treatments I will be frequenting CT  and PET Scanners and many more doctor's offices, and that this will forever be a part of my life is just too much to reflect on on a regular basis.  It is in the present moment that I find any sort of peace and is where I prefer to stay.  It's amazing to me that in my old, daily life, mindfulness was something that was extremely difficult to do, now, it is my saving grace.

I realize this blog entry has been one of my many fears, however, rest assured, that I KNOW I will come out on the other end and the light will be brighter than I could ever have imagined.  I already see many glimpses of it.  I don't think that I will ever be able to live life as I did before, and that comes with many blessings.  I am able to let go of things in such a deep way, a way that not all will have the opportunity to do, and for that I'm extremely lucky.  

Thank you to all of you who have been praying for me, sending me healing vibes, bringing my family meals, calling and checking up me, sending me cards with words of love and encouragement, sending uplifting gifts, and generously donating money.  We could not do this without all of you!!!  I want to extend a special thanks to my dear friend and soul sister, Molly, for setting up this blog so that we can share our experience with you.  Molly, I love you!  I also want to thank my amazing family!!!  Mom, Marek's life wouldn't be the same without you here and I wouldn't have nearly the strength I do to go forward with each day.  Dan, you are my rock and your love for me has the ability to burn through all of this darkness and touch my heart in the most intense and healing way.  Sister, I don't know what I'd do without you!!  Thank you for really listening to me.  To all of my grandparents, who call everyday and are praying their hearts out for me, thank you!  Janice, I look forward to all of your many calls and can't wait to have you come out to help me for a couple of weeks...thank you!  Tom and Alice, I can't wait to see you in April!!  And, I can't thank you enough for raising Dan to be the wonderful human being that he is.  Deb and Howie, thank you helping us feel not utterly alone! I am filled with so much gratitude for everyone in my life....thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! 

I look forward to writing more in the future.

With Much Love!!
Sarah



   


12 comments:

Dan said...

Looks like I have the tough act to follow now. Well done! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, its so good to hear from you. Mike and I love you all so much and we think about you every day. Stay strong, we can do this!
Love ya!

mom2firedog said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and it was so touching to read! Cole, Ava and I are still pulling for you and sending you good vibes. You are a superhero in my book!

Charissa

Anonymous said...

Sarah and family;
I just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you everyday- ever since Robyn told us what was going on! Let us know if there is anything you need-- lots of love!!! xxoo the Emily Perry (mom to Cathryn- Ben's friend, and Nate)

vrb said...

Hi to all,
Sarah, I am so glad that you felt well enough to do an update. As you can already see, some days are better than others. Hayley had two years of chemo, which took her into March of her senior year at Aquinas. They were wonderful about excusing her absences, but as you have already realized, life goes on, whether you are ready to handle it or not. You will get the rhythm better as the time goes on. You have such a close support system, and they will carry you through this. Don't be afraid to tell the doctors when you hurt...they are there to help you. And I know that Frank is paying special attention to his lovely daughter, helping you in ways that only an angel can. (Not a March goes by that I forget learning of that terrible day in March.) Sleep enough, eat enough, and love those boys of yours. Wish I could help from here. Hugs to your mom!

Anonymous said...

To My Dearest Sarah,
As another March 1st comes to a close, I find myself sitting at YOUR computer at YOUR home. A month ago if anyone would have asked me where I would be today, California would not have probably been one of my answers. But as we all know, life sends us on a few unexpected journeys. Both you and I have shared some difficult ones-like your Dad's death and now your cancer--but we have also shared some of the most precious journeys also. Standing with you on some of the most beautiful mountain tops in Nepal will be a moment I will cherish forever. And of course there is nothing more spiritual than watching my sweet little Marek come into this world. His pure light is a blessing to us all.

But today I AM here in California. I feel so blessed to be able to be a part of yours, Dan's and Marek's journey. As we talked earlier, a three month leave from work would have never happened, had lymphoma not arrived. Once again, not that we would plan it this way, but sometimes life has a way of making plans for us whether we want to accept them or not.

I have always watched and admired the way you and Dan lead your life and raise Marek. You have strong convictions that guide you through your marriage and everyday living. It touches me so much to see the love that the three of you share. It was something that was so special between your Dad and me and I will be forever grateful that you also are able to experience it.

I am here for you...
I am here for Dan...
I am here for Marek, my mister Boo

I know that at the end of this journey Sarah, we will stand upon another mountain top and see a new day on the horizon. Until then, lets get on our hiking boots...we have some work to do.

LOVE you more than you will ever know. Sweet dreams.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
you write beautifully!
I will forever and ever be inspired by your courage and confidence to share your many gifts with those around you and the world. Thank you for not tip-toeing through life or holding back on your talents and beliefs because you inspire many.
I have been thinking about you a lot since finding out you have to battle the Big C. You have overcome so much in your young life thus far, i feel awful that you are going through this. But I know you have an amazing community of friends and family so that you can focus on your healing and come away from this journey stronger than ever.
Much love to you and see you soon,
Your friend,
Katie Noelke

Anonymous said...

Hello

Erin said...

Lori you just made me cry.

Sarah I love you!!! I'm so looking forward to kicking back in the sun with you and drinking a fine ass glass of champagne in celebration!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you do not ever need to worry about the ability to write! I called your mom on Sunday as I just felt a need to hear her voice and she to hear my mine on March 1.
I watched your mom and dad love each other and you and Becca. I agree with her that you and Dan have the same type of love. It is in the blog and in your love for Marek. No one can exactly experience this like you can and we are all learning. Stay in the moment it is where you need to be to heal.
Love Sue

Shauna said...

Sarah- I heart your Mom. :-)

You are one lucky woman to have such fine people who love you so much.

Howie said...

Sarah,
Way to stay focused mama! It's a long, tough road but it WILL be worth it. Just know that in the not too distant future we're going to be able to look back on this (of course in spite of the fact that it's always going to remain a part of our lives) and we're going to be able to say that we kicked some serious cancer ass. Because we will Sarah, and that's all there is too it. There is no alternative babe.

I am so honored to call you my friend and to walk this road with you. Thank you for your strength, your honesty and openness, and your ability to live in the moment. I love you!
Love,
Deb